Oh man, does my honey love coconut shrimp, and it’s so easy to make! This is his go-to favorite for his birthdays, valentines day, anniversaries…you get the idea.
Here’s what you’ll need:
- 1/3 cup all-purpose flour (or whole wheat)
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper
- 2 large eggs, beaten
- 3/4 cup Panko bread crumbs
- 1 cup sweetened shredded coconut
- 1 pound raw large shrimp, peeled and deveined with tails attached
- 1 quart coconut oil
- Start with 3 medium ziploc bags. Combine flour, salt, and pepper in one. Beat the eggs, and pour into the second bag. Combine Panko and coconut in the third bag.
- Dip the shrimp into the flour, then the eggs, and then dredge the shrimp into the coconut mixing, pressing gently to make everything stick.
- Add enough oil to cover the bottom of a large skillet on medium heat. Fry the coconut shrimp in batches (too much in one pan will cool the oil and make them fry less evenly). Flip after 2 minutes and fry the other side for 2 minutes or until golden brown.
- Place the finished coconut shrimp on a plate lined with a paper towel as you fry the rest.
Serve with a dipping sauce of your choosing and enjoy!