Here’s what you’ll need:
- 2 eggs, beaten
- 1/2 cup white sugar
- 1 large onion, grated
- 1 cup self-rising flour
- 1 cup self-rising cornmeal
- 1 can creamed corn
- 1/2 tsp. jalapeno juice
- 1 tbsp. jalapeños, diced
- 1 quart oil for frying
- Begin by heating oil in a small pot on the stove. (The smaller the pot, the hotter the oil stays while frying).
- In a large mixing bowl, beat the eggs. Add the grated onion, (include the onion juice!), white sugar, creamed corn, jalapeno juice, and jalapenos. Mix well.
- Next, add the flour and cornflour. (If you don’t have self-rising flour or cornmeal, add a tsp. of baking soda to the dry ingredients.)
- Once the batter is done, use a cookie scoop or spoon to drop the hush puppies into the pot of oil. Remember they expand while they cook so don’t crowd the pot!
- They should take about 7 minutes to cook, depending on how crispy you like them! Try to only flip them once, so they don’t fall apart.
- Let them cool on a plate with a paper towel to soak up the remaining grease.
Serve with your favorite dipping sauce (try my copy-cat chick-fil-a sauce!) and enjoy!