This dish is amazing. Everyone loves macaroni and cheese, and this upgrade with jalapeños makes it even better! Not exactly diet friendly, but this is a great dish to bring to parties and pot lucks and I promise it will fly out of it’s bowl. I’ve never had to bring home leftovers. #partypleaser #anythingbacon #spicy
Here’s what you’ll need:
- 1 box uncooked pasta
- 1/4 cup butter
- 2 tbsp. all-purpose flour
- 1 tsp. mustard powder
- 1 tsp. ground black pepper
- 1 tsp. garlic sat
- 2 cups milk
- 1/2 lb. Velveeta, cubed
- 1/2 lb. American cheese, cubed
- 1/2 cup cheddar cheese, shredded
- 1/4 cup breadcrumbs
- 6 oz. bacon crumbles
- 6-10 oz. sliced jalapeños and their juice, depending on your preference!
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees.
- To start, you’ll need a medium saucepan over medium-low heat. Melt your butter. Next, prepare a pot to boil the pasta. Follow the directions on the pasta box, but it shouldn’t take longer than 12 minutes. Drain noodles, add 1/2 tsp. garlic salt, and set aside.
- Once the butter has melted, whisk the flour in one tbsp. at a time. If you take the pot off the burner while your whisking the flour, it’ll be easier to work with. Flour, when overheated, gets clumpy–and you don’t want that!
- Add the ground mustard, pepper, and 1/2 tsp. garlic salt to the sauce pan. Stir well. Turn the heat up on the burner from medium-low to medium.
- Cube your Velvetta and American cheese and slowly add it to the sauce pan.
- Add the sliced jalapeños and their juice and stir.
- Next, add only some of the milk, and alternate between adding cheese cubes and pouring milk. Add more milk depending on how thick you prefer your cheese sauce.
- When the cheese sauce is ready, mix it with the noodles and pour into an un-greased 9×13 baking dish. Top it off by adding a layer of shredded cheddar cheese, the bacon, some more jalapeño slices, and breadcrumbs. Bake for 20-30 minutes, or into the cheese is bubbly and the bread crumbs have browned, and serve!